Assistant Medical Librarian
Under the direction of the Director of Library Services, the Assistant Medical Librarian will aid in the selection, implementation, and management of the library’s digital resources and collections. The librarian will also provide reference services and instruction to students and faculty, participate in library-wide planning and budgeting, and will represent the library in the absence of the Director of Library Services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Provides excellent, responsive reference assistance to the ARCOM community.
- Communicates with faculty, staff, and students about, and provides support for, ARCOM research and scholarly activity.
- Works with the library director and administration to develop innovative instructional programs and new library services to meet the educational, teaching, and research needs of faculty, staff, and students, and advance the academic and research mission of college.
- Coordinates with the Director of Clinical Rotations to ensure access to the resources needed to advance the educational goals of the faculty, staff, and student of ARCOM at all college-affiliated clinical sites.
- Assists the library director with development of policy and procedures related to library contracts, purchasing, licensing, and related items.
- Communicates with vendors on issues, minor to significant, involving electronic resources and utilities.
- Manages and coordinates library applications including, but not limited to, OCLC Worldshare ILL, DOCLINE, LibGuides, and the online catalog and discovery systems.
- Assists in the overall management the library’s electronic resources, including e-books, e-journals, and databases.
- Creates customized electronic tools to aid patrons in the discovery and use of library resources.
- Presents library orientations and promotes resources to classes, faculty, and other groups as requested.
- Provides excellent, proactive customer service to all internal and external ARCOM affiliates
- Expands knowledge and skill base with professional development, continuing education, and networking opportunities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 1+ years’ experience in an academic library or academic environment.
- Experience working with faculty, students, and colleagues in a multicultural learning and working environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- An ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in library or information science.
- Library experience in a medical or health-related discipline.
- Working knowledge of medical information resources (PubMed, Cochrane, etc.).
- Familiarity with applications that support or enhance online learning environments such as Canvas, LibGuides, and Camtasia.
- Experience providing library instruction and reference services.
- Knowledge of evidence-based medicine principles.
- Familiarity with using DOCLINE to provide interlibrary loan services.
- Basic web-design and HTML skills.
If you need assistance in the application process because of a disability, or for any other reason, please contact Barbara Jetton, Director of Human Resources, at 479.308.2291 or email@example.com.